Do you worry that your child spends too much time on social media or watching YouTube videos? A new initiative from the Scouts helps switched on youngsters to use tech to get more from their offline life.
In order to encourage young people to use digital technology to complement their offline life in a safe, creative, responsible way – for example, videoing an outdoor adventure and uploading it to YouTube.
The Scouts’ Digital Manifesto proudly supported by Vodafone:
- Use digital to learn and embrace new skills Learn about constellations and how they can be used in navigation alongside GPS
- Share your adventures digitally and inspire others Create a video of your outdoor adventures and share on YouTube
- Stay safe online and know the risks Never share personal details with strangers
- Use digital skills to support your family and community Teach someone how to make and receive a video call
- Know when to switch off Balance your screen time with outdoor activities
- Use digital to be creative Make an animation to promote Scouting.
Apps that can help young people enjoy their offline life:
- Reach for the stars SkyView Free Point your device at the sky to identify stars, satellites, constellations and more. (Free. Age 4+ on iOS; and PEGI 3 on Android.)
- Map reading OS Locate Make the most of your adventures in the great outdoors. Used with an Ordnance Survey map, OS Locate is a fast and highly accurate means of pinpointing your exact location on the map, anywhere in Great Britain. Comes with a built-in GPS system. (Free. Age 4+ on iOS; and unrated on Android.)
- Safe and sound First Aid by British Red Cross Know what to do in an emergency with the British Red Cross’ official first aid app. With videos, quizzes and simple advice, it’s never been easier to learn first aid. (Free. Age 4+ on iOS; and PEGI 3 on Android.)
- Treasure hunt Geocaching is the world’s largest treasure hunt. Download the app and begin thousands of great treasure hunts across the UK. (Free. Age 4+ on iOS; and parental guidance recommended on Android.)